My debit or credit card doesn't work. What should I do?
There are several reasons why your card might not work when you’re trying to make a payment or withdraw cash.
If you’re in store or withdrawing cash from a cash machine
- Check your balance to make sure that you have sufficient cleared funds in your account
- A temporary systems problem may have prevented authorisation or the card details may have been input incorrectly by the retailer, so it’s worth trying again
- Your PIN may not be working – see our question on PINs
If you’re using your card online
- You may have entered your card details incorrectly. Try again, taking care to enter your details exactly as they appear on your card
- A systems error may have prevented the online transaction from being processed, so it’s worth trying again
- Some debit or credit card payments will require a second level of security validation, such as Verified by Visa. This system includes a link to follow if you’ve forgotten your password
If any of these problems persist, your card may be damaged and you’ll need to order a new one.
- To replace a damaged Barclays debit card, contact a branch or call Telephone Banking (if you're registered) on 0845 755 5555 (+44 247 684 2100 if you're outside the UK)*. You should get your new debit card in 2 working days in the UK but it will take longer if we need to send it abroad.
- For Barclaycards only, call 0844 811 9111* or 0800 587 2104 (Textphone). When you have your replacement card, sign it immediately on the back and destroy the old one.
* Lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls. Call charges.