My debit or credit card doesn't work. What should I do?
There are several reasons why your card isn’t working when you’re trying to make a payment or withdraw cash.
In store/withdrawing cash
- Check your balance to make sure you have sufficient cleared funds in your account
- A temporary systems problem may have prevented authorisation or the card details may have been input incorrectly by the retailer, so it’s worth trying again
- Your PIN may not be working – see our question on PINs
Using your card online
- You may have entered your card details incorrectly. Try again, taking care to enter your details exactly as they appear on your card
- A systems error may have prevented the online transaction from being processed, so it’s worth trying again
- Some debit or credit card payments will require a second level of security validation, such as Verified by Visa. This system includes a link to follow if you’ve forgotten your password
If your card still doesn’t work, you can contact a branch or call Telephone Banking (if you're registered) on 0345 734 5345*. For Barclaycards, call Customer Service on 0800 151 0900* (landline) or 0333 200 9090* (mobile).
* To maintain a quality service, we may monitor or record phone calls. Call charges.